The files for the 2006-2010 ACS 5-year estimates are similar to last year's publications (the 2009 ACS 1-, 3-, and 5-year estimates) with the following exceptions. These changes were established starting with the 2010 ACS 1-year release:
- All Detailed Tables Available in American FactFinder
In the 2005-2009 ACS 5-year data release, 295 Detailed Tables were only available for download in the Summary File; they were not available in American FactFinder (AFF). For the 2006-2010 ACS 5-year data release, all Detailed Tables are available in AFF.
- New Geography Levels Available
Although the ACS continues to produce block group level estimates on the summary file only, the 2006-2010 ACS 5-year estimates include 6 new summary levels for Native American Tribal Areas:
- American Indian Area-Tribal Census Tract (256)
- American Indian Area-Tribal Census Tract-Tribal Block Group (258)
- American Indian Area (Reservation Only)-Tribal Census Tract (291)
- American Indian Area (Off-Reservation Trust Land Only)-Tribal Census Tract (292)
- American Indian Area (Reservation Only)-Tribal Census Tract-Tribal Block Group (293)
- American Indian Area (Off-Reservation Trust Land Only)-Tribal Census Tract-Tribal Block Group (294)
These summary levels were not available in previous years, the 2010 ACS 1-year estimates, or the 2008-2010 ACS 3-year estimates. Learn more about summary levels in Appendix F.
- Geography Files Offered in Comma Delimited Format
The geography files are now offered in two formats: position based and comma delimited. In previous years, the geography files were only offered in position based format.
- SummaryFileXLS.zip Renamed to SummaryFileTemplates.zip
The zipped "SummaryFileXLS" folder was renamed to "SummaryFileTemplates" to more accurately reflect its contents: templates (or column headers) for each of the sequence files. This folder is located in the "User Tools" folder on the Summary File site: http://www2.census.gov/acs2010_5yr/summaryfile/UserTools/
- SummaryFileTemplates.zip Includes a Template for the Geography File
A template for the geography file was added in the "SummaryFileTemplates" zipped folder due to popular demand. For more information, visit Chapter 2.4.
- Missing Value Has Been Changed From Dot to Empty Cell
Previously, a dot "." was used to indicate that an estimate was unavailable due to coefficient of variation (CV) filtering or Disclosure Review Board (DRB) restrictions. For the 2010 ACS Summary Files, the dot is being replaced by an empty cell. For more information, visit Appendix C.3.
- Instructions Added on How to Join the Summary File to TIGER/Line Shapefiles
The Summary File Technical Documentation now includes instructions on how to join the ACSSF to TIGER/Line Shapefiles. For more information, visit Chapter 2.6.