Accessing Social Explorer at a subscribing institution
How to get full access to Social Explorer
There are multiple ways you can access Social Explorer and obtain full access to our tools and resources.
If you do not wish to create an account
- visit Social Explorer from your campus
- visit your library online, log in and follow the link to Social Explorer
- use OpenAthens/Access Management Federation
For those wishing to use OpenAthens: Many universities do not have OpenAthens setup in Social Explorer. Check with your university before you use it.
If you land on the Explore Maps page and see "Professional plan provided by" your institution in the header, it means that you now have full access to all tools and resources.
If you’d like to proceed by creating an account
- Visit the Social Explorer site from your campus or through your library online and create a personal account by clicking on the Create Account button. You will receive a three-month license on creating your account, enabling you to access Social Explorer from any location.
- Email authentication – if you create an account with your university email address, we’ll authenticate your license automatically. If you want to use a different email address to create an account, you can still get a license by validating your university email. For more information, see Get full access with a university email address.
It is enough to visit Social Explorer from your campus or library online once every three months to re-authenticate the license.
If your library does not subscribe to Social Explorer, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide us with the name of the course as well as the name of the instructor at your university. We offer a complimentary three-month free trial to students.