Uniform Crime Report - Crime in the United States, 2011
Data Declaration - Offenses Known to Law Enforcement, by State by Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Counties, 2011
The FBI collects these data through the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program.
This data is released in Fall 2010.
- The metropolitan counties classification encompasses jurisdictions covered by noncity law enforcement agencies located within currently designated Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs). The nonmetropolitan counties classification encompasses jurisdictions covered by noncity agencies located outside currently designated MSAs.
- This table provides the volume of violent crime (murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault) and property crime (burglary, larceny-theft and motor vehicle theft) as reported by law enforcement agencies (such as individual sheriffs offices and/or county police departments) in metropolitan counties and nonmetropolitan counties (listed alphabetically by state) that contributed data to the UCR Program. (Note: Arson is not included in the property crime total in this table; however, if complete arson data were provided, they will appear in the arson column.)
- These data do not represent county totals as they exclude crime counts for city agencies and other types of agencies that have jurisdiction within each county.
Readers should take into consideration relevant factors in addition to an areas crime statistics when making any valid comparisons of crime among different locales.
Variables Affecting Crime provides more details concerning the proper use of UCR statistics.
- The data used in creating the FBI original table were from all county law enforcement agencies submitting 12 months of complete offense data for 2011.
- The FBI does not publish arson data unless it receives data from either the agency or the state for all 12 months of the calendar year.
- When the FBI determines that an agencys data collection methodology does not comply with national UCR guidelines, the figure(s) for that agencys offense(s) will not be included in the table and the discrepancy will be explained in a footnote.