Revision: July 28th, 2008
- The Information Social Explorer Collects
The personal information Social Explorer (SE) collects will depend on how you are using the SE website. To enable your access to the SE website through your library or institution, we may collect information concerning the institution's internet protocol address. We also may collect certain non-personally identifiable information, such as the type of browser you are using (e.g., Netscape, Internet Explorer), the type of operating system you are using (e.g., Windows or Mac). To create an account with SE, we collect your name, email address, username, and password, as well as other information you may fill in. In addition, we may collect personally identifiable information through correspondence you send to us. However, unless you provide us with personally identifiable information, you remain anonymous to us other than by association with an internet protocol address or other authentication mechanism.
- Data Integrity & Use of the Information
We use the personal information collected in ways that are compatible with the purposes for which it was intended to be used: to enable your use of the SE database; to create your SE account; to respond to your inquiries; for system administration, customer support, and troubleshooting purposes; for targeted marketing and product service announcements; for sending newsletters; to improve the design of our website; to enable us to enforce our Terms and Conditions of Use; and in aggregate form, to track and analyze site usage. SE will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is relevant to its intended use, accurate, complete, and current.
Onward Transfer of Information
Social Explorer (SE) may work with other organizations that provide specific services for us, such as credit card processing. We only will provide personal information necessary for the third party to provide these services for us. These organizations may not use personal information except for the purpose of providing these services. Currently, we use PayPal to process credit card payments, but this may change in the future.
Except in the following special circumstances, SE does not sell or share personal information about or the purchasing history of individual users:
- if required to do so by law or if we believe in good faith that such action is necessary to comply with the law or a legal proceeding, to protect against violations of our Terms and Conditions of Use, or to protect and defend our rights and property or the rights and property of publishers selling content through the service;
- with service providers with whom we have entered into agreements to assist us with our business operations; or
- other third parties, such as an institution with which you are affiliated or with one of our related organization whose services you may be interested in, where you explicitly consent to our sharing your information.
In addition, SE shares general usage data in aggregated form so that no personal information is identifiable to participating libraries, publishers, and the general public. SE will provide you all of your retained personal information provided at registration (where applicable) on request.
- Terms and Conditions Subject to Change. SOCIAL EXPLORER may change the Terms and Conditions of Use, or any aspect of SOCIAL EXPLORER, at any time, however Licensee’s subscription to our service shall be governed by the Terms and Conditions under which Licensee subscribed until the end of Licensee’s subscription period. If/when Licensee renews Licensee's subscription to SOCIAL EXPLORER, Licensee have to agree to the updated Terms and Conditions of Use. All versions of Terms and Conditions will be available on our website until deemed necessary.
- Your Consent & Opting Out
By using our website, you consent to the collection and use, in accordance with this policy, of the information you provide to us. We will remove you and your personally identifiable information from our database or refrain from using your personally identifiable information in connection with certain services on request if you contact us with your request at email@example.com. Please note that this may prevent you from accessing the SE database.
- Security We protect your personal information from unauthorized access and disclosure through the use of passwords, physical security measures, managerial measures, and encryption. We nonetheless recognize that third parties may obtain access to information through unlawful actions, and thus do not promise that your information always will remain private, despite our efforts and the importance we place on maintaining your privacy. In addition, we do not claim any responsibility for information collected by or from websites linking to or from SE.
- Access and Correction
If you would like to review or update your information, you may contact us using the contact information below. We will take reasonable steps to permit you to correct, amend, or delete information that is demonstrated to be inaccurate. You will need to provide sufficient identifying information, such as your name and email address and possible additional identifying information as a security precaution. We may limit or deny access to personal information where providing such access would be unreasonably burdensome or expensive under the circumstances, or as otherwise permitted by the Safe Harbor Principles.
- Enforcement and Dispute Resolution
Any claim arising out of or relating to our adherence to the Safe Harbor Principles, or the breach thereof, that cannot be resolved through our internal processes will be settled by arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association in accordance with its applicable commercial rules. Any arbitrator will be either an attorney or retired judge having significant and recognized experience with and knowledge of privacy issues and information technology. The arbitration panel should apply New York law, without regard to its conflict of laws principles, as well as the Safe Harbor Enforcement Principles issued by the U.S. Department of Commerce. In addition, the exclusive location for such arbitration will be New York, New York. All decisions of the arbitration panel will be final and binding on the parties, which waive any right to further appeal the arbitration award, to the extent an appeal may be lawfully waived.
- Contact Us