|Data Source:||Digitally transcribed by Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research. Edited, verified by Michael Haines. Compiled, edited and verified by Social Explorer.|
Universe: Free Population Age 20 and Over
|T81.||Literacy By Race By Sex (Free Population Age 20 and Over)|
|Universe: Free Population Age 20 and Over|
- 1850 census iterated literacy for 20 and over population only.
- Caution: Census provided number of individuals who cannot read or write. "Literate" was computed by subtracting illiterates from Total Free Population 20 and up (excluding individuals with unknown age).
- Universe: "Free Population 20 and over" calculated By SE.
- Powhatan, VA did not iterate illiterate population. Literate population was not calculated for this county.
- Social Explorer did not calculate literate category for various counties. These counties' published illiterate population are higher than total freed color population age 20 and above. For these counties and counties with published freed color male and/or female illiterate population higher than total freed color population 20 and over, Social Explorer inserted zeros for all literate categories. Caution: For counties with discrepancies with illiterate free colored population and total population 20 and above, total iterate category is the sum of male and female white literates only.